2016年07月19日

In airports

Penang Airport ...

GEORGE TOWN: A total of 12 flights were rescheduled at the Penang International Airport in Bayan Lepas after the terminal was flooded during a five-hour downpour which began at about 2.30pm.

The downpour caused the arrival hall to be flooded with water levels reaching 0.3m at about 5pm before subsiding about an hour later.

Airport senior manager Mohd Arif Jaafar said 10 incoming and two outgoing flights were affected from about 4pm onwards.

Among the affected flights were incoming AirAsia flights from Jakarta, Kota Kinabalu, Kuala Lumpur (two), Saigon and Johor Baru.

Also delayed were a Firefly flight from Kota Baru and three Malindo flights from Malacca, Subang and Kuala Lumpur.

There was also traffic jam at the arrival area of the airport as water was seen overflowing at the roundabout near the terminal.

Contractor Ong Lay Hong, 53, who was at the airport to pick up his son, who was arriving back from Beijing, said he was at the airport at 4.15pm and the water level was already rising.

“The water was flowing from inside the arrival hall to the waiting area for taxis,” he said.

Travellers, among them American tourist Trisha Goulding, 29, were seen lugging their heavy luggage through the water at the arrival hall.

“It is very inconvenient to drag my luggage through this flood water,” she said.

The flooding has happened for the umpteenth time at the airport since the RM250mil expansion project was completed at the end of 2012 and despite various measures taken over the years to reduce the flooding woes.

Based on newspaper reports, the airport had been hit by flash floods, sometimes up to twice a year.

Heavy rainfall also resulted in flooding in several areas on the island including Permatang Damar Laut, Teluk Bahang and Batu Ferringhi.

Teluk Bahang residents said it was one of the worst flash floods in recent years, with about 300 houses affected by the rising waters.

Teluk Bahang Village Development and Security Com-mittee chairman Zainudin Yusoff, 54, said the area worst hit in Teluk Bahang was Kampung Nelayan, which is near a river.

He said that it had rained for about 20 hours since 9.15pm on Sunday and that the condition worsened yesterday due to high tide.

South-west district officer Ederis Mat Din said about 30 people from 10 families had been evacuated yesterday.

But it is learnt that they returned to their homes once flood waters subsided.

He also confirmed there was no death reported at press time yesterday.

State Local Government Committee chairman Chow Kon Yeow said heavy rainfall was recorded up to 190mm in the Teluk Bahang Dam and high tide had caused the Sungai Teluk Awak’s bank to burst.

The Meteorological Department here recorded a total rainfall of 164mm as of 8pm at the Bayan Lepas station yesterday, with the highest rainfall reading at 69.2mm at 5pm.


The Star, Published: Tuesday, 19 July 2016
Penang airport floods stall 12 flights
By Crystal Chiam Shiying, Cavina Lm, and Jolynn Francis
http://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2016/07/19/penang-airport-floods-stall-12-flights-travellers-forced-to-trudge-through-water-after-fivehour-down/

In Turkish airports ...

PETALING JAYA: There are only 21 Malaysians still left among the 242 stranded in major airports in Turkey following a coup last week.

In a statement, Wisma Putra said 242 Malaysians had been identified and given assistance.

“Out of the 242 Malaysians, 221 have departed for their destinations while the remaining 21 will leave Turkey according to their scheduled flights,” it said here yesterday.

However, it advised Malaysians to stay vigilant, urging those who required consular assistance to contact the Malaysian embassy in Ankara or Wisma Putra’s Operation Room at 03-8887 4570.

Malaysian Association of Tour and Travel Agents (MATTA) president Datuk Hamzah Rahmat said Malaysians holidaying in Turkey were still going ahead with their plans.

“So far, nothing yet, I haven’t heard of anyone cancelling,” said Hamzah, adding that he was positive that Turkey was still a destination of choice.

“After recent incidents, I believe that security in Turkey will be much tighter and it will be safer,” he said, urging airlines not to impose a fee on travellers who wished to postpone their flights over the next few days.

“If airlines or hotels impose a fee on us (for postponing the trips), we have no choice but to impose one in turn on our customers.”

He said Malaysian travellers would also not be affected by the ban on direct flights in and out of Turkey to airports in the United States.

“Malaysians usually use Middle Eastern and European transit for flights to North America,” he said.

Turkish Tourism Board public relations officer Hasan Kuruz said Malaysians should not be worried to travel there.

“Turkish people love tourists and we know how to welcome people,” he said, adding that the board would still go ahead with its promotion for the coming MATTA Fair in September.


The Star, Published: Tuesday, 19 July 2016
21 Malaysians still in Turkish airports
By Hemananthani Sivanandam and Hanis Zainal
http://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2016/07/19/21-msians-still-in-turkish-airports-they-will-be-leaving-on-scheduled-flights/


posted by fom_club at 13:24| Comment(0) | TrackBack(0) | 日記 | このブログの読者になる | 更新情報をチェックする
この記事へのコメント
コメントを書く
お名前: [必須入力]

メールアドレス: [必須入力]

ホームページアドレス: [必須入力]

コメント: [必須入力]

認証コード: [必須入力]


※画像の中の文字を半角で入力してください。
※ブログオーナーが承認したコメントのみ表示されます。

この記事へのトラックバック